SEASONAL INTERNSHIP POSITIONS
Massaro Community Farm welcomes interns to work with Executive Director Caty Poole or our Education Director on projects that allow students to grow and learn, while working to fulfill the mission of the farm: Keep Farming; Feed People; Build Community. Some interns have the potential to receive a stipend (of up to $500), depending on the scope and length of their engagement with the farm. Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter/email to ED Caty Poole (firstname.lastname@example.org). Please be specific about what you are interested in and how you and we can mutually benefit from your internship. See the descriptions below for details.
Description: Massaro Community Farm is building its roster of farm-based programming, which currently includes farm field trips, a summer camp, and farm workshops for youth and adults. The education intern would work closely with the farm’s program coordinator to research, develop and organize educational materials. Interns will also be invited to Education Committee meetings and to participate in farm events. This is a 10-12 week internship, start and end times somewhat flexible, and can run during Spring, Summer or Fall. Education interns have the added potential to be hired on a per diem basis to work at the farm for its farm based educational activities, such as field trips, throughout the season.
Responsibilities can include:
• Help develop lesson plans, new offerings and programs both on and off the farm
• Working under a program leader and the farm’s FoodCorps service member to convert activities and lessons into a uniform format, and organize them both electronically and for hands-on use at the farm
• At the option of the intern, participate in farm field trips and other educational activities
• Participating in cooking demonstrations using seasonal farm produce, if there is interest
Requires a self-motivated individual with an interest in education – farm-based education or the environment is even better. Ideal candidates would have an educational background (or at least some experience), and/or an interest in farming or the environment. Familiarity with basic gardening concepts helpful as we incorporate the farm’s Learning Garden into much of our activities. Intern will have access to farm’s office & equipment under the guidance of the farm’s Executive Director. Intern will be expected to provide approximately 5-6 hours each week to this effort.
Outreach and Development Intern
Description: Massaro Community Farm seeks a motivated individual to 1) work closely with the farm’s Executive Director and program leader to promote farm educational offerings and community events; and 2) to work with the Development Committee to support fundraising events at the farm. This is an 8-10 week internship, start and end times somewhat flexible, but generally runs either in Spring or Fall. The program coordinator oversees farm-based educational events, and the development committee manages major farm events and fundraising efforts.
Responsibilities would include:
• Creating promotional materials for educational workshops and community events
• Draft event announcements for dissemination to local press and online event listings
• Research and support activities of Development Committee to carry out fundraising efforts, including a centennial capital campaing the farm is planning
• Posting calendar and events and photos to the farm’s website, as well as to other area calendar and event listing pages supplied by the farm
Requires a self-motivated individual with knowledge of Microsoft Publisher, InDesign or similar publishing platform to develop creative communication pieces for major farm events. Ideal candidates would have a business or graphic design background. Also requires familiarity with social media. Concepts of community organizing will be helpful. Intern will have access to farm’s office & equipment, but can also work on their own, under the guidance of the farm’s Executive Director. Intern will be expected to provide approximately 5-6 hours each week to this effort.