The bees have done their work, and with just the right amount of rain and sunshine, our CSA is making its first distribution to members this week, just a little earlier than planned. Beets, bok choi, arugula, a variety of kale, lettuce and cabbage, along with herbs like parsley and dill are ready and waiting for eager hungry mouths awaiting their return.
In addition to the 2012 CSA season, the farm has a number of other exciting items going on:
- A new 5kW solar array that will power the farm – ribbon cutting of this new solar array took place on May 19th as the headline of our Celebrate Spring event.
- A new children’s learning garden – this collection of raised and table beds, along with a pergola, were added to the farm with the help of neighbor and craftsman, Trevor Youngberg, and will be used for educational opportunities.
- A revitalized nature trail – revitalized with the help of our local Girl Scouts, this nature trail through the woods at the rear of farm offers an opportunity to grab some shade and view some of the incredible birds who make their homes here.
- Barn renovations – final stages of the renovation of our dairy barn, the largest structure on the farm, are under way. Once complete, this structure will not only provide some office space, but will continue to serve as our CSA distribution site (with added refrigeration and storage), offer a kitchen prep area for cooking, and will provide a facility for certain events at the farm.
Mark Your Calendar for These Upcoming Dates:
- Curious Kids – June 12, 19 and 26 from 3:30-4:30pm
Kids of all ages are invited to learn about Massaro Farm’s plants, wildlife, composting and more! Each class will begin with a story, followed by an active exploration of the day’s topic. Sessions led by Diane King, yoga instructor and former Beecher Road teacher. For more information, please call Diane at (203) 494-3745 or email her at email@example.com.
- Yoga at the Farm – June 12, 19 and 26 from 4:45 to 5:30 pm
Bring a mat or pillow and join Diane King for a session of stretching, breathing and strengthening at the farm. Stay for 5 or 45 minutes, whatever suits your mood! For more information call Diane at (203) 494-3745 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Dinner in the Field – September 1 from 4:00 – 8:00 pm
Join us for an encore of our annual dinner – literally in our fields – where we celebrate with foods harvested from the farm. This year’s event will honor Geraldine Shaw for her commitment to our community and will feature New England Brewery beer and Savino Vineyar wines.
- Family Fun Day – October 13
Family Fun Day invites members of all ages to enjoy music, food and activities at the farm.